So, how do you define your brand values?
Your brand values are the beliefs, philosophies, and principles that drive your business. They influence so many elements of your business; from your verbal and visual identity, to your culture and even your business objectives. They help keep you aligned with your identity and they remind you to be authentic during tricky times.
You can find a good definition of ‘brand values’ in this article.
In this video, we share some valuable tips on how to best define your brand values and ensure you made the right choice.
So, why are your brand values so important?
- Your values impact the employee experience you deliver as well as the relationship you develop with your customers, partners and shareholders.
- They help you stay focused and ensure you stick to your chosen goals.
- Your values represent your brand promise for as long as you choose to exist. This is very important! They are a promise that you must get right.
- They are the makeup of your internal culture. They must be achievable and realistic and representative of your brand.
How do you define the right brand values?
We encourage you to think through the following questions:
- What are your mission and vision?
- What are your key timeless business goals?
- What makes you passionate?
- What drives you day to day?
- What are your core beliefs and principles?
- What’s your brand personality? How don’t you want to be known?
- What’s your ethical standpoint? And can you commit to this?
- If you’re already established – what are the unwritten core values right now?
We also encourage you to explore the following…
- Ask all staff/stakeholders for their feedback
- Ask your customers how they view you
- Do a competitor audit – you’ll learn loads!
- Explore brands you admire – they don’t have to be in your sector.
- Remind yourself why you began! Sometimes we overcomplicate things.
This is a lot to think about. We hope this has helped inspire you.
Our 3 key actions to take away today are:
- Take 2 minutes and grab a cup of tea. Write down your 5 values now straight after this video.
- In 1 week’s time, reflect on these with one colleague.
- In a fortnight, host a workshop with your wider team to solidify these values and define what makes you YOU!
If you want more inspiration or guidance on branding, then check these articles: